Tuesday, April 26, 2016

April is Wyoming's snowiest month

In many states, March is the snowiest month.

When I lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota that was very much the case. Snowstorms always seemed to coincide with March Madness - all the basketball tournaments going on.

In Wyoming, and in particular Cheyenne, April is the snowiest month.

The view looking west outside my door, about 7 am on Tuesday, 25 April 2016
Just three or four days ago we had 70 degree weather and I was out for bike rides. 

Today I opened my door and saw a covering of snow - see the photo above. This was about 7 am.

By 8 am, the snow was really coming down. Blizzard conditions.

I had to go into town for my bowling league and just got into my car and went.  By the time I got to Greeley Highway I realized that the conditions were serious but by then it was too late to turn around (didn't want to be late for bowling and didn't know how long it would take me to get the 10 miles to the bowling center).

I spent the white-knuckle drive bemoaning the fact that I'd taken all my Winter Storm Survival Equipment out of my car - the blanket, the water, the food, an extra pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt.

I wasn't really afraid of getting stuck - I've got brand new tires and front wheel drive, but  lots of people drive too fast for the conditions and I'm always nervous that someone will run into me!

By the time 11 am rolled around and bowling was over, the snowplows had been through, and the roads were clear and the snow was melting.

No comments:

Post a Comment