Friday, April 1, 2016

Manifesto

A "windjammer" is a sailing ship. I've chosen the name for my blog covering my travels throughout Wyoming because with the state's non-stop wind, I've often thought of rigging a sail on top of my car and letting the wind blow blow me north along I-25!

Wyoming is a state rich in pioneer history and natural beauty.

As far as people are concerned, Wyoming is the "least populous," if Wikipedia is to be believed - with fewer people even than Alaska. In fact, according to Wikipedia even the state of Vermont has fewer people than Alaska!

Wyoming is the "second least densely populated" state in the Union - Alaska does have the distinction of being the "first least densely populated" state.

Welcome to Wyoming sign on I-80/Greeley Highway

Wyoming has about 586,000 people scattered throughout the state.




Cheyenne, it's capital, has about 60,000 people and is the largest city in the state. You can see it in the lower right hand corner of the map above!

Casper is the second largest with about 55,000 people.  It's northwest of of Cheyenne off of I-25 N.

Third largest is Laramie with 31,000 people. It's a little less northwest of Cheyenne, on I-80W.

Gillette comes next with 30,000 people (way up north), then Rock Springs (way west) with 23,000. Next is Sheridan (also way up north) with 17,000 inhabitants.

Green River and Evanston both have about 12,000 inhabitants.

 Riverton  (just above Lander) has about 10,000, and Jackson, Cody and Rawlins all have about 9,000 people.

Lander has about 7,000 people, and Torrington and Powell 6,000 people.

There are lots of small towns in Wyoming. Chugwater, home of the famous Chugwater Chili Cookoff, has about 400 people and is an hour north of Cheyenne on I-25 N.. Wheatland has 3,000 (just another 20 minutes or so on I-25N) and so on.

I'll be traveling through every single town and city in Wyoming, and will share my travel adventures here.